Associate Planner or Designer - Parks, Urban Ecology, Resilience
Asakura Robinson Company
HOUSTON, TX United States
We are seeking an associate-level planner or designer to join our team with a specific focus on projects related to parks and park system master plans, trails, conservation, green infrastructure, climate resilience, environmental planning, environmental justice, climate action, and sustainability. Ideal candidates should be excellent communicators, have the ability to do cross-over work between planning and design disciplines from region-wide planning to site-specific conceptual design. This position will work within the Urban Ecology Studio, an interdisciplinary practice that integrates data and scientific rigor within our equity- and community-driven design and planning work with the goal of maximizing social, economic, and ecological co-benefits. Ideal candidates would describe themselves as conveners who balance an empathetic approach to communication with technical knowledge and experience. In addition to experience in planning and/or design, past experience in administration of parks or park systems, education, science communication, health science, land and natural resource management, botany, social justice, climate or environmental science, or other relevant adjacent work is a plus.
Location: In the long term, this position will be based in one of our offices - Houston, Austin, Minneapolis, New Orleans, San Antonio, or Seattle, however, the position will be remote until at least June of 2021. Please include your office location preference in your cover letter.
Education and Experience: Master’s in Urban Planning, Landscape Architecture, and/or other relevant discipline with at least 1-3 years of relevant experience with increasing project responsibilities.
Salary Range: $50,000 - $70,000 dependent on experience and qualifications
Apply: Send your letter of interest, resume, and digital work samples to email@example.com. Please reference “Associate Planner” in the subject.
Apply by: 12/05/2020
- Project experience on parks master planning, conservation, sustainability, climate resilience, and/ or ecological planning and design projects
- Proven systems thinker
- Proficiency in working in a fast-paced, multi- disciplinary environment, often working across multiple offices
- Ability to effectively collaborate and communicate as a part of a dynamic and fast-paced team
- Excellent internal and external communication and collaboration skills - Bilingual abilities are a plus
- Working expertise in ArcGIS (including Spatial Analyst) preferred
- Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite including InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator
- Experience in other design software including AutoCAD, Rhino, SketchUP, etc. a plus
- Knowledge and familiarity with regional ecological systems of candidate’s preferred office location, including flora and fauna, preferred
- Strong technical writing and storytelling skills
- A high degree of self‐motivation, responsibility, flexibility and resourcefulness
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- On the path to some combination of LEED AP, Sustainable Sites, PLA, and/or AICP credentials
- Ability to travel as needed to project sites throughout AR’s markets and to other AR offices (all non-essential AR travel is currently suspended per COVID-19 formal guidance on social distancing)