City of Crowley
Crowley, TX United States
The primary purpose of this position is current planning functions, such as ensuring that applications for all development comply with applicable City codes and ordinances and State laws and are processed in accordance with approved procedures. Under general supervision from the Planning & Development Director, the Planner performs complex planning and land use activities for the Community Development Department. The position is responsible for processes and planning activities related to the planning and zoning division; assisting the Department in a wide range of tasks, and working to serve the interests of the City and its citizens. This is a highly responsible position that demands professional-level work and an exceptionally high level of customer service and diplomacy. The Planner serves as a liaison to elected and appointed bodies. The Planner also performs tasks related to long-range planning when needed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- For subdivision and site development approvals, ensures completeness and compliance of documents/materials in accordance with established procedures.
- Provides guidance and information to the developers and the general public regarding various zoning and development-related regulations of the City.
- Prepares and delivers reports/presentations to the Planning and Zoning Commission and/or City Council, as well as other audiences as needed; serves as staff liaison and board secretary for the Planning & Zoning Commission.
- Serves as primary/first point of contact for the public in the Planning division.
- Coordinates development review committee comprised of City department representatives; initiates and conducts meetings; records meeting notes.
- Works on special projects and current and long range planning projects, as assigned.
- Conducts demographic research and spatial analysis when needed.
- Assists in the development, drafting, and implementation of the general development regulations and zoning regulations.
- Assists in the development, drafting and implementation of policies and regulations related to growth and development.
- Assists in the preparation and coordination of development-related reports.
- Complies with all written City policies and procedures.
- Adheres to assigned work schedule as outlined in City and department attendance policies and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Knowledge of planning principles, specifically related to land use planning, development, community engagement, and implementation. • Knowledge of state statues, particularly the Texas Local Government Code, as it pertains to planning, zoning, subdivision, annexation, and other development-related matters. • Knowledge and understanding of data and analysis requirements pertaining to subdivision plats, site plans, rezoning proposals, code amendments, demographics, mapping, land use plans and studies. • Understanding of how short term decision-making affects long-term planning goals of the city. • Knowledge of basic engineering concepts and theories related to the development of residential and commercial properties. • Advanced knowledge of oral and written communication, effective writing techniques, and public speaking and presentation skills. • Ability to provide guidance, assistance, and/or interpretation to others on how to apply procedures and standards to specific situations. • Ability to exercise independent judgment to apply facts and principles for developing approaches and techniques to problem resolution. • Ability to exercise the judgment, decisiveness and creativity required in situations involving evaluation of information against measurable or verifiable criteria. • Knowledge of principles, methodology, practices of research and data collection. • Knowledge of computer hardware and software programs, which may include Microsoft Office, Internet applications, Adobe Acrobat Professional, and GIS. • Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with colleagues, elected and appointed officials, employees, and the public. • Must be able to attend Planning and Zoning Commission, City Council, and Zoning Board of Adjustment, as well as other development-related meetings as needed. • Must display initiative and diligence in work performance. • Must be an independent, self-starter and be able to assist with citizen complaints and concerns. • Must be able to keep sensitive information confidential. • Must have exceptional attention to detail. • Must exhibit exceptional customer service skills.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND CERTIFICATION
• Bachelor’s degree in Planning or closely related field and four years of experience in current planning.
• Master's degree in Planning or closely related field, two years of experience in current planning, and AICP certification preferred.
• Valid Texas Driver’s License with a good driving record.
In addition to filling out an application, please forward your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.