Assistant Director - Planning & Development Services Department
City of New Braunfels
New Braunfels, TX United States
Assist the Director with planning, directing, managing and overseeing the activities, operations and responsibilities of the Planning and Development Services Department, to include the management or oversight of one or more Divisions or Division Managers. Ensures activities and accomplishments are consistent with the goals of the Department, the City's strategic goals, and the Comprehensive Plan. Provides highly responsible and complex administrative support to the Director and the City Manager's Office. Exercises direct supervision over assigned staff, administers multiple boards or commissions, and serves as Director in the Director's absence.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists the director in developing and implementing department goals, objectives, policies, budget and priorities for each assigned service area.
- Works with the director to establish appropriate performance metrics; adopts and implements Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), Code Interpretations, and Customer Bulletins.
- Oversees the development of administrative and operational plans for efficient operation of one or more Divisions of the Department; monitors and evaluates the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures; identifies opportunities for improvement, advises the director and implements management solutions.
- Ensures coordination, collaboration and communication within and between department divisions; fosters a cooperative spirit.
- Assesses and monitors division workload, administrative/support systems, and internal reporting relationships; advises on and implements improvements.
- May serve in one or more special assignment roles.
- Oversees, advises, provides technical support to and directly administers assigned boards or commissions.
- Collaborates cross-department and with outside agencies on special projects as assigned.
- Assists the director in coordinating strategies to integrate services with other programs, departments and agencies particularly in implementation of the Comprehensive Plan.
- Leads community meetings, or meetings of stakeholders with competing interests.
- Delivers presentations to groups, boards, commissions and City Council.
- Confers with customers (architects, engineers, contractors, developers, special interest groups, business owners and property owners); resolves issues that arise; mediates discussions between stakeholders.
- Conveys department direction and provides guidance to assigned area(s) of oversight; assigns and coordinates tasks and projects; reviews work for quality, timeliness, conformance with requirements and consistency with the Comprehensive Plan.
- Trains and coaches staff; develops staff skills and conducts performance evaluations; works with staff to correct any performance deficiencies; meets regularly with staff to disseminate information and to discuss and resolve issues.
- Implements customer service initiatives and ensures the highest standard of customer service excellence is consistently delivered.
- Serves as an official department representative to other departments, committees, outside agencies, elected or appointed officials, non-profits, etc.
- Provides consultation to the director and colleagues on all issues related to the department.
- Prepares documents and responses for City Council, City Manager's Office, the Director, staff and citizens.
- Serves as director in his/her absence.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.