City of Allen
Allen, TX United States
Please note: This position will be filled as either a Planner or Senior Planner (position also posted). For applicants meeting the Senior Planner requirements, please apply directly to that position for consideration.
With over 100,000 residents, the City of Allen is a dynamic and welcoming community. The City of Allen's strong economy, diverse population, great educational institutions and quality of life makes it the ideal place to work, live, and play. The City of Allen has something to offer for everyone.
The City's Mission, is "To achieve excellence in managing development of the community and in providing city services so that conditions of living and public confidence are continually enhanced".
Our employees serve the citizens of Allen with the following values:
- People First – Giving priority to others
- Respect – Treating others with courtesy and dignity
- Integrity – Serving with honesty, trust and hard work
- Deliver – Following through on commitments while exceeding expectations
- Excel – Creating an innovative and improving work environment
The primary purpose of this position is to help facilitate a high quality development review process, by conducting development review activities, providing technical assistance to applicants, coordinating review processes and similar activities. Other duties may include providing support to City boards and commissions, providing information and other services to citizens, outside organizations and other employees, reviewing and approving permits, conducting research and other special projects. This position may provide direction to other employees.
This information is intended to be descriptive of the key responsibilities of the position. The following examples do not identify all duties performed by any single incumbent.
- Provides information to citizens, neighborhood groups, outside organizations and other employees by meeting with public groups, making presentations and relaying technical information regarding development applications and ordinance requirements and by researching and interpreting zoning, subdivision and sign ordinances.
- Provides support to City boards and commissions by preparing and delivering communications and presentations, analyzing platting and zoning requests and making development recommendations.
- Conducts development review activities, meets with developers and citizens. Participates in technical review committee processes and coordinates with other departments.
- Conducts planning research and analysis; prepares and presents staff reports; provides planning recommendations to the Zoning Board of Adjustment and Sign Control Board. Researches and reviews code amendments and/or new code regulations.
- Provides technical review and coordination of plat review and approval, coordinates filing and recording of plats.
- Assists Code Enforcement and Building Inspections by researching, interpreting, and analyzing zoning and ordinance questions and issues.
- Develops long-range forecasts of demographics and land use in City development by collecting information, monitoring and identifying trends, analyzing the potential impact of trends and recommending code changes.
Formal Education / Knowledge
Work requires broad knowledge in a general profession or technical field. Knowledge is normally acquired through four years of college resulting in a Bachelor's degree or equivalent. Master's degree will be considered in lieu of one year of experience.
Over one year of relevant experience.