City of Arlington
Arlington, TX United States
To be considered for this position, you must apply online through the City of Arlington, Texas website at: https://cityofarlington.csod.com/ats/careersite/JobDetails.aspx?site=1&id=1040
THIS POSITION WILL CLOSE ON 10/4/2021.
SALARY: 18.57 - 23.21 Hourly USD
Under general direction, lends general planning assistance to the Department and provides accurate technical analysis of applications, plans, plats and data pertaining to land use, land development codes and related regulations.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Ability to quickly and accurately evaluate land use-related applications for development in a manner consistent with Department policies, goals and objectives for excellent customer service and within timeframes established by the Department.
2. Ability to communicate knowledgeably, candidly and confidently with homeowners, contractors and business representatives on the status of permits, deficiencies of applications, purposes of the land use and platting regulations, and provide accurate explanations of procedures, ordinances, rules and regulations pertaining to land development.
3. Coordinate and track plat filing with the County; provide support for the zoning functions of the Department to ensure accurate processing of requests, place signs on property, distribute plans upon submission, when revised, and after approval. Investigates violations of planning regulations and ordinances, including site visits
4. Ability to create, update, maintain and analyze maps, charts and other graphics for use by the general public, Department and City Council. Requires coordinated data sharing with GIS and the Department website administrator with the goal of providing transparency for the public on the performance, efficiency and effectiveness of the land use and land development application process. Researches and compiles information on a variety of planning issues from multiple sources
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS:
5. Respond to data, information, and research requests from the department, city staff, and the public. Researches and compiles information on a variety of planning issues from multiple sources
6. Possess an engaging, empathic style of communication that instills confidence in the Department and the City of Arlington generally. Attends public meetings, assisting other planning staff as appropriate
7. Serve as the Department’s Planner-of-the-Day in the One-Start Center as assigned. Exercise initiative and work independently with minimal supervision in furtherance of Essential Job Functions.
8. Performs routine office tasks in designated program areas, including data entry, file management, copying and answering telephone
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Knowledge of computer operating systems and software packages including but not limited to MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Adobe Acrobat Pro
- Knowledge of GIS, techniques and tools used in mapping graphics
- Knowledge of planning principles and practices, including pertinent specialties, research and data collection.
- Skills in reading and interpreting maps, property surveys, aerial photography and structural floor plans and making reasonable interpolations from scaled drawings, legal descriptions and digital records to non-dimensioned plans
- Skills in creating effective visual presentations for data from narrative descriptions, blueprints, plans and field measurements, etc.
- Skills in building and maintaining an accurate database for GIS, with the ability to pay close, accurate attention to details
- Skills in communicating with other city employees and the public by oral and written means
- Ability to learn and use proficiently “AMANDA” and the Department’s permitting processing systems
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with planning staff and the general public
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously, work comfortably in an environment of moderate ambiguity, and produce quality results while under deadlines and moderate pressure
Qualifying Education and Experience:
Associate's degree or technical course work in urban planning, geography, architecture, construction management, social sciences, GIS, public administration or a related field. Two years of experience in plans review, zoning administration, building code issuance or surveying, or customer service is also required. A bachelor’s degree is preferred and may substitute for the above stated experience.
This position requires successful completion of criminal background check, drug and alcohol testing, and motor vehicle record review. Possession of valid Texas Operator's License, Class C.