City of Schertz, Texas
Schertz, TX United States
The City of Schertz is seeking an experienced and highly motivated professional to lead and manage the City’s long-range planning efforts. The position is a new Senior Planner position funded in the City’s FY 20-21 Budget to lead updates to the City’s Comprehensive Plan. The ideal candidate will have advanced knowledge and experience in long range land use planning and development and will be able to coordinate with other departments and agencies, meeting deadlines while autonomously managing multiple assignments.
Visit the City of Schertz website to apply, http://schertz.com/
This is a full-time position under the general direction of the Director of Planning & Community Development and is responsible for performing professional and technical city planning and community development work. Responsibilities may include matters related to long range planning, supervising and overseeing current and short-range planning and for the supervision of the day to day operations within the Planning and Zoning Division. Assists in the processing of planning and development applications, oversight of the activities and operations of the Planning Division including, may include but not limited to, comprehensive planning, zoning, subdivision platting, annexation and other site development related activities and programs. Coordinates assigned activities with other departments and outside agencies and provides highly responsible and complex administrative support to the City Council, Planning and Zoning Commission, Board of Adjustment, Capital Improvements Advisory Committee, City Administration and the Director of Planning and Community Development. This position may exercise supervision over assigned staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Provide outstanding service to internal staff and customers.
• Performs assigned managerial functions including scheduling, monitoring and evaluation of division operations, and staff development.
• Conduct, prepare and coordinate special studies on projects such as land use and zoning plans.
• Participate in regional planning efforts with the development community, citizens, municipalities and other government agencies.
• Responsible for comprehensive planning activities involving research, managing, revising and preparation of comprehensive plans and ordinances for the City; make recommendations on comprehensive plans; implement comprehensive plans through review of development proposals and coordination with other departments.
• Provides policy recommendations to ensure future projects align with the Comprehensive Land Plan.
• Coordinate pre-application meetings and confer with applicants on the development process and applicable codes.
• Oversee and assist processing of planning and development applications.
• Organize and facilitate weekly staff development review meeting and other team meetings.
• Interpret and apply applicable state and local codes, ordinances and regulations.
• Prepare legal agreements and letters for development projects.
• Prepare and present detailed staff reports for development projects to the Planning and Zoning Commission, Board of Adjustment, and City Council.
• Research, prepare and present ordinance amendments to the Planning and Zoning Commission and City Council.
• Attend Planning and Zoning, City Council, Board of Adjustment, Capital Improvements Advisory Committee and community meetings as necessary.
• Review the work plan for assigned planning services and activities; assign work activities and projects; review and evaluate work products, methods and procedures; meet with staff to identify and resolve problems.
• Assist in training and evaluating planning division personnel; participate in coordinating personnel training.
• Participates in the preparation of the annual department budget.
• Assist in processing vendor purchases and invoices.
• Maintain and update department reports.
• Establish and maintain standard operating procedures for typical departmental functions.
• Answer questions, respond to inquiries and provide information to the development community and the general public regarding comprehensive planning issues; investigate complaints and recommend action as necessary to resolve complaints concerning the City's planning functions.
• Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Planning & Community Development.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
• A Bachelor’s degree in Planning, Geography, Landscape Architecture, Architecture or a related field.
• Four (4) years of experience and training providing the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
• American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) Certificate is preferred.
Open Until Filled
We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, national origin, age, religion, sex, marital status, military or veteran status, the presence of medical condition, or any other legally protected status. The City of Schertz is AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.