City of Taylor
City of Taylor, TX United States
Are you interested in implementing cutting edge planning techniques such as: Strong Towns; form-based zoning; inclusive and diverse housing; incremental and infill development; and compact, mixed-use neighborhood design? Would you like to be at the center of one of the biggest economic development deals in the country? If so, you may be the right person to fill the City of Taylor’s newly created Planning Manager position.
Taylor is a city of approximately 18,000 people located 30 miles northeast of Austin. The City is known for its rich historic character, amazing barbeque and, most recently, for being selected as the site of a new $180 billion Samsung semi-conductor manufacturing campus (one of the largest of its kind in the world).
The City is on the cusp of rapid growth and the community does not want to end up like many sprawling suburbs full of single-use, monotonous development patterns. With that in mind, a new comprehensive plan, Envision Taylor, was adopted in November of 2021 that sets the City on a path toward more sustainable, human-scale development in keeping with the patterns of Taylor’s historic neighborhoods. Immediately after adopting the new comprehensive plan, the City embarked on a complete re-write of its land development ordinances (zoning, subdivision, signs) to implement the goals in the plan.
The Planning Manager position will be a key player in helping the City achieve its vision and goals. This position will supervise the City’s planning team and be involved in a wide range of planning initiatives and development projects. The ideal candidate is a self-motivated planning professional with knowledge and experience in best practices in creating human-scale places. Experience in a supervisory role in a fast-paced planning department is ideal.
ACCEPTABLE EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
- Bachelor’s Degree in planning from an accredited university or college; or in a related field such as urban design or architecture.
- Minimum of four (4) years’ experience in a municipal planning department
- American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) Certification or ability to achieve certification within 12 months of employment required.
- Master’s Degree in planning from an accredited university or college; or in a related field such as urban design or architecture, preferred
- Two (2) years of supervisory experience, preferred.
If you are interested in learning more about this exciting opportunity, please apply here.