City of DeSoto
75115, TX United States
The purpose of the position is to assist the Planning Manager in administering the Zoning and Subdivision Ordinances, coordinating the development review process, preparing plans and studies, as well as providing information and assistance to developers, builders and the general public.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Reviewing Plats and Site Plans for conformance with the Subdivision and Zoning Ordinance, to include writing comments and then reviewing resubmittals to verify that comments have been addressed by the applicant.
- Writing staff reports for zoning requests and plat applications and presenting cases to the Planning and Zoning Commission and City Council.
- Meet with developers, builders and the general public to answers questions pertaining to the Zoning and Subdivision Ordinances, as well as the development process.
- Preparing plans and studies, as well as amendments to the Zoning and Subdivision Ordinances, and the Comprehensive Plan.
- Review Certificates of Occupancy to assure all requirements of the Zoning Ordinance are being met. This entails making contact with the applicant for additional information when needed.
- A Bachelor's Degree and 2 - 5 years of progressive experience in current and long-range planning.
- Knowledge of the development process; principles of planning specific to work assignments and research methods applicable to assignments.
- Legal terminology pertinent to planning and zoning related matters.
- Basic mathematical principles such as fractions, percentages, ratios. Also, basic geometry.
- Federal and state regulations pertaining to work assignments.
- Ability to be self-motivated; complete multiple tasks in a fast paced environment with an eye for detail.
- Complete major studies and reports in a timely manner with minimal edits required.
- GIS knowledge and experience using ArcInfo and Arcview.
- Use of Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, Access and Powerpoint).
- Reviewing plats and site plans for conformance with Zoning and Subdivision Ordinances.
- Ability to effectively work with developers, builders, the general public, and other staff members.