DIRECTOR OF PLACEMAKING AND URBAN DESIGN - NEAR SOUTHSIDE, INC.
NEAR SOUTHSIDE, INC.
Fort Worth, TX United States
NEAR SOUTHSIDE, INC.
DIRECTOR OF PLACEMAKING AND URBAN DESIGN
FORT WORTH, TEXAS
Near Southside, Inc. (NSI) is seeking a team-oriented and self-motivated individual with a background in urban planning and/or urban design, and a passion for central city development and placemaking.
This position presents a unique opportunity to join a small, skilled team working daily to create special places and continue the Near Southside’s remarkable revitalization. The projects and initiatives led by NSI’s Director of Placemaking and Urban Design make the Near Southside an even stronger magnet for investment and one of the region’s most remarkable transformation stories.
Essential skills for the position include strong project management, effective communication (written and verbal), and collaborative teamwork. A background in urban design or landscape architecture would also be a valuable asset.
Near Southside, Inc. is the non-profit economic and community development organization spearheading the continued growth and development of this exciting and eclectic urban district, located immediately south of downtown Fort Worth.
The Near Southside is well known as the home to Fort Worth’s Medical Innovation District, and is also a state-designated Cultural District, receiving designation from the Texas Commission on the Arts in 2020.
NSI is a member-supported nonprofit, with a roster of 350 member businesses located within the Near Southside and beyond. Our organization is led by a broadly representative board of 54 community leaders. NSI works very closely with the City of Fort Worth, and through that partnership, NSI administers Tax Increment Reinvestment Zone 4 (Southside TIF 4). NSI also collaborates regularly with transit authority Trinity Metro and many other public and private partners to advance the district’s continued revitalization.
The Director of Placemaking and Urban Design is a vital member of NSI’s 5-person team, and a key contributor to our diverse work program of economic and community development initiatives.
This full-time position leads NSI’s work in two primary categories:
- Management of NSI-led placemaking projects, primarily focused on the creation and management of public spaces ranging from major public park projects to small parklets and plazas, and also including transformative street improvement projects.
- Facilitation and design review of private development projects located within the Near Southside, working in close partnership with developers and the City of Fort Worth to advance a wide range of urban infill development projects.
In addition, because NSI’s work program requires all teammates to be strong collaborators, this position provides key assistance on events throughout the year, ranging from community events such as ArtsGoggle and Fridays on the Green, to monthly member networking events. While this aspect of the job is primarily in a support role, event assistance often helps strengthen relationships with those NSI members involved in development- and project-related activities.
Certain skills and experience are essential to the position:
- Project management: Ability to manage the work of design consultants and contractors on a variety of public projects, often in partnership with transportation and parks staff from the City of Fort Worth, and to keep projects on schedule and budget.
- Urban design: While a design degree is not required, experience closely connected to urban design, landscape architecture, and/or civil engineering would be an asset. At a minimum, a strong understanding of urban design principles and practices is important to the position.
- Written and verbal communication: The ability to effectively communicate – in writing, through slide presentations, and verbally – without requiring close supervision is critically important to many aspects of the job.
The list below includes projects and initiatives currently underway, or in the pipeline, that would likely be led by the Director of Placemaking and Urban Design.
NSI-LED PROJECTS: STREETS AND TRANSPORTATION
- Rosedale and South Main Gateways
- Wayfinding Design and Installation
- Streetscape Projects Program
- On-Street Parking and Curb Management
- Near Southside Street Repair Program (w/ CFW)
- Mistletoe Blvd. Quiet Zone (w/ CFW)
PUBLIC SPACE MANAGEMENT
- South Main Village Parks: The Skinny and Calhound Parks
- Small Places Program: South Main MicroPark, South Main Squeeze, future projects
- Near Southside Parklet Program
- Fire Station Park (w/ CFW, upon completion)
- Evans Avenue Park Design (proposed)
DEVELOPMENT CONSULTATION AND DESIGN REVIEW
- Development project plan review and facilitation
- Design Review Committee: Meetings & Urban Design Commission Recommendations
POLICY AND PLANNING INITIATIVES
- Amendments to NS Development Code (w/ CFW)
- DAC Infill Task Force (w/ Mike B.)
NSI DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMS
- TEXRail Mistletoe Station TOD Plan (w/ Mike B.)
- Near Southside Creative Incubator at Southside Preservation Hall (w/ Mike B.)
- Development Tours and Seminars (w/ team)
CURRENT MAJOR DEVELOPMENT COLLABORATIONS
- The Vickery at Near Southside
- 200 W. Vickery TOD (w/ Trinity Metro)
- Evans & Rosedale (w/ City of FW)
- Historic Laundry Block
- Juneteenth Museum
Est. $70,000-$75,000 plus health insurance
PLEASE SEND COVER LETTER AND RESUME BY WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 25, 2023, 12 NOON TO:
Mike Brennan, AICP
President, Near Southside, Inc.