Sr Planner/Historic Preservation Officer
City of Fredericksburg
Fredericksburg, TX United States
Under administrative direction of the Director of Development Services, this position provides overall administration and program direction for Historic Preservation and the City’s Development/Planning program. In the absence of the Director, the Senior Planner/Historic Preservation Officer is responsible for all Development Services related duties including, but not limited to, supervising the staff to accomplish functions necessary in the development and implementation of planning and development policies and regular contact with representatives of government, community groups, developers, business organizations and the general public. This position will work and assist departments of the City in matters affecting historic preservation, urban design and also serve as a representative of the City to residents and organizations engaged in historic resource protection. The position will also provide administrative functions to the Planning Department, Public Works, Planning and Zoning Commission, Zoning Board of Adjustment and Historic Review Board. The
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Serves as Historic Preservation Officer for the Certified Local Government program.
- Reviews Certificate of Appropriateness applications for completeness, performs administrative reviews where applicable and submits recommendations to the Historic Review Board.
- Translates the goals and objectives of the Historic Review Board into programs, projects and activities.
- Coordinates special events and maintains schedule of events/ceremonies such as Preservation Month events;
- Provides historic preservation public education.
- Provides technical assistance, conducts research and makes recommendations relating to the review of historical preservation plans and associated reports.
- Reviews building plans that are located within the national or local historic districts and properties that are designated as landmarks.
- Prepares narrative staff reports and recommendations of limited complexity, such as historic landmark designations.
- Develops policies and procedures to implement the City’s adopted historic preservation ordinance and related ordinances.
- Develops and creates informative outreach efforts regarding historic preservation and city planning initiatives.
- Applies for grants, awards, and actively participates in planning and historic preservation programs.
- Prepares maps, charts, and tables of limited complexity.
- Reviews building plans and zoning permit applications to assure compliance with requirements such as use, bulk, placement, and parking ratios.
- Collects and interprets research data related to zoning and historic preservation.
- Assists in the Formula Business Ordinance.
- Assists with the adoption and implementation of Comprehensive Plan and subsequent ordinance and plan adoption.
- Assists in the effort to further link downtown with uptown.
- Assists in the implementation of the Design Standards and Guidelines for entry corridors coming into town.
- Attends public meetings, assisting other planning staff as appropriate.
Reviews mapping, descriptions, and presentations for the P&Z Commission and HRB.
- Provides technical assistance and information to staff and the public in the administration of specific planning program areas or ordinances.
- Investigates violations of planning regulations and ordinances, including site visits.
- Prepares press releases for the departments.
- Maintains records of receipts and expenses.
- Performs routine office tasks in designated program areas, including data entry, file management, copying and answering telephone.
- Develops and maintains automated tracking systems, hard copy files and records.
- Researches and compiles information on a variety of planning issues from multiple sources.
- Processes invoices in payment (direct payment request, requisition, and purchase orders) ensuring the correct budgets are billed.
- Performs other work as needed or required.
- Must be innovative, detail-oriented, experienced in highly visible/controversial projects
- Capable of managing multiple, high-priority assignments
- Strong interpersonal skills to develop good working relationships with staff, officials, and stakeholders and to resolve complaints.
- Strong analytical skills to interpret research data for reports and apply mathematic techniques in practical situations.
- Reading comprehension to understand technical and legal materials.
- Ability to work on several projects or issues simultaneously.