City of Cedar Hill
Cedar Hill, TX United States
Why This Role is Valuable
The City of Cedar Hill's culture sets us apart from any other City in the world. We live by five very important values, which also contain many parts to make a whole. The five values we live by are High Standards, Teamwork, Premier Customer Service, Family Oriented and Fun.
We are seeking an individual, who has demonstrated a willing commitment to these values, holding them in high regard, to join our team in the position of Senior Planner!
Under the general guidance of the Director, the Senior Planner is responsible for managing complex planning projects and providing technical support to the department for digital and web design. This position requires a high degree of organization, professionalism, customer service and technical skill with digital and web design. The Senior Planner is involved in varying degrees with all aspects of the planning department. The position will play a key role in implementing downtown plans; incorporating strategies to preserve Cedar Hill’s natural environment; updating the Comprehensive Plan, Parks Master Plan, Zoning Ordinance and Subdivision Ordinance; and creating neighborhood revitalization plans.
How You Add Value
- Provides premier customer service to internal and external customers by responding to requests in a timely and professional manner. Examples would include answering questions from letters, phone calls and walk-ins to the office and participating in meetings related to new inquiries.
- Reviews plats, zoning changes and site plans by processing and reviewing developmental requests, administering development review between departments, planning review meetings with the Coordinator, compiling plan comments and preparing technical correspondence.
- Prepares written and verbal reports on development applications and planning concepts.
- Prepares graphics for meetings, reports, citizens and interdepartmental needs.
- Researches and surveys historical data and current trends to assist with code amendments.
- Provides demographic data, future growth and survey compilation by arranging information from diverse sources and organizing information into appropriate form for multiple uses.
- Adheres to established work product deadlines.
- Prepares graphic design images and maps to convey planning concepts.
- Provides technical design and maintenance for the department’s web page and social media.
- Attendance is required during regular office hours from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday – Friday and at board/commission meetings after regular office hours.
What You Bring to the Role
- A Bachelor's degree is required. A Bachelor’s degree or Master's degree in city planning, urban design, architecture, landscape architecture, public administration or a related field is preferred.
- At least five years of experience is required in urban design or managing projects related to subdivision plats, site plans, zoning changes, code amendments or comprehensive plans. A Master’s degree in city planning, urban design, architecture, landscape architecture, public administration or a related field may substitute for two of the five years of required experience. In addition, at least two years of experience is required in digital and web design.
- A valid Driver's License is required.
- AICP certification is preferred.