Senior Planner - Long Range
The City of College Station
College Station, TX United States
Under general direction of the Long Range Planning Administrator, the Long Range Staff/Senior Planner performs work related to the planning, development, and future growth of College Station. This role and the division serve as stewards of the City’s Comprehensive Plan, and as such, work to implement the plan through coordinating with internal and external stakeholders, creating and revising ordinances, developing and implementing small area plans and special projects, coordinating infrastructure investments, and engaging the community.
- Serve as project manager in the development and/or implementation of Comprehensive Plan actions, small area plans, specialty projects, reports, studies, and plan updates, as needed.
- Prepare projects and special reports for the Planning and Zoning Commission and/or City Council as directed. Present reports and information to City Council, boards, and commissions.
- Coordinate with internal and external stakeholders to implement the City’s various plans including the Comprehensive Plan, master plans, and small area plans.
- Engage community members in planning processes through public input and educational opportunities.
- Assist with research, data collection, and data analysis for various long range projects, demographics reporting, and population trends.
- Conduct technical reviews of development proposals. Interact with applicants, design professionals, City staff, and general public. Prepare staff reports and make formal presentations to City Council, boards, and commissions.
- Create ordinance amendments and/or new ordinances as directed.
- Participate in a regular rotation of “Planner On-Call” to assist internal and external customers by answering inquiries and providing information concerning city planning, processes, and development projects.
- Participate in divisional training duties:
- Assist with training coworkers as required – Staff Planner
- Assume leadership role in training of coworkers, serve as a mentor to staff planners, and supervise the division intern(s) as directed – Senior Planner*
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s Degree in urban planning, urban design, architecture, land & property development, or related field and (3) three years successful experience in planning or a planning related field; or the equivalent combination of education and experience. AICP designation or the ability to obtain AICP designation within 18 months. Knowledge of principles and practices of city planning as they pertain to urban development and zoning, and demonstrated experience in applying these principles and practices. Proven written and oral communication abilities. Ability to comprehend and apply multiple ordinances and policies. Ability to manage increasingly complex projects and deliver presentations to internal and external stakeholders, City Council, boards, commissions, and the general public. Ability to exercise good judgment, tact, and diplomacy in all public interactions.
Master’s degree in urban planning or a related field. One (1) or more years of supervisory experience. Knowledge and experience in long-range planning as well as development review.
Position posted until filled or closing date.